Thursday, February 2, 2017

In the air - Thursday/Friday

Day One--Thursday

Early start this morning......alarm rang at 3 AM which normally wouldn't be so jarring, but having only gotten to sleep around 12:30...wow. Last minute packing, no time for coffee....off to airport at 3:35 .. and so the day began.

Uneventful flight on JetBlue to JFK. Changing terminal at JFK is the pits!!! You have to go out of the secure area to get to another terminal and then do the whole darn check-in thing all over, including going thru security. Somebody is making a ton of money from this whole TSA boondoggle! (I'm just jealous that it isn't me I guess.)

Breakfast at the Palm Grill....$6 for a coffee at Pete's and $16 for two eggs over easy, bacon, toast and pedestrian cross between tatertots and french fried home fries. Welcome to Airport food.

Wait around to board Emirates Flight 204 to Dubai. Big double-decker Airbus 380-800 which fortunately is not full even though the woman on the other end of the four-seat row that I'm in is insisting on stretching out across the three other seats. I think she'd be quite happy if she had the entire row to herself. Long as she doesn't kick me I guess I'll survive that indignity as well.

They've passed out sleep masks, headphones and the menu. Torn between the lamb, chicken or Paneer Makhani. The galley is right behind me and it's a beehive of activity right now, and they're actually starting to distribute the lunches, although I think it's just the "special" meals that are being served. (Full review to follow...)

We're five hours into a twelve-hour flight. I dozed off a bit after lunch. Lunch was "interesting".... Paneer makhani with way too little makhani, dal, couscous salad with a wedge of cardboard tomato, some tiny toasts (about the size of a nickel) and a chocolate mousse with cherry. Not hateful, the dal was good, that much I have to admit.

I still have to master the touchscreen in front of me. Doesn't want to respond to my touch....the remote works so if I find something worth watching I'll be in good shape. Meanwhile I have a ton of reading that I'm supposed to be doing, so off to that for a while.....or, waddayaknow they just came through and handed out a Primo Gusto Pizza Quattro Fromaggi.

Much later----actually Friday Morning, Dubai/African time -- on the plane from Dubai to Lusaka

Well I was surprised in Dubai when going from the A concourse to the C concourse everyone was herded through security ... ugh..empty pockets, take off belt, take off watch....but the good news was that they zipped right through the process.

More food...croissants, sealed in cellophane, kinda turn into rubber. Ripe fruit? Not so much. But it did look good.

The ride right now is too bumpy to write so I'll pick up later this PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment